Tuesday 14 August 2012

'Til Kingdom Come

Thursday, August 9th, I awoke early with anxiety for what was to come. I was restless, working out, cleaning, packing, preparing... I was finally going to meet Andrew's family over the weekend. His mum had already been so kind giving us things for the flat and lending me novels and movies to watch for when I arrived. And to add to the emotions I was feeling, I was also very excited to take my first step into Wales.

To get to Caerleon, Wales it is about an hour's train ride from Bath. We sat hand in hand, him smiling at me being so nervous, and me just plain being nervous. And when the train finally came to our stop in Newport, it felt as if I was on a roller coaster, strapped in, feeling it move and knowing there's no going back now. When we came in sight of the exit there she was waving over to us (adrenaline kicking in) and over the tracks to a free fall we went. But as we reached her and she hugged me, smiling, exchanging words of joy, we had met. The roller coaster had stopped and every minute of anticipation was worth it.


The first night was spent chatting of old times and new while eating her highly praised lamb stew. After a cozy night's rest we were dished a very yummy fry up. I was quickly feeling at home. The conversation carried on and I couldn't help but be reminded that I was sitting in Wales next to Andrew and his mum as if I'm not from a completely different world and not 5,000 miles away from the home I always knew before.
***
Andrew wanted to take a walk into the town of Caerleon to show me where he spent much of his youth. What I didn't expect to learn was of the ancient Roman barracks right next to the school Andrew attended when he was a young boy. Imagine walking along this spot every day.


Soon we were approaching a large green field in the distance. 

I then discovered that I was veering into a Roman amphitheatre where gladiators fought, entertained and died in front of thousands of spectators. As you can see there is a family with children playing below. Andrew used to play football inside this amphitheatre as well. It is shuttering, yet admittedly fascinating, to imagine it was once covered with the blood of gladiators. 
***
Now I know that by being in the UK I fall prey to its enchanting and enthralling historical sites. But what was to come next was an exciting piece of continuing history - not only history of the world, but an impacting part of Andrew's history. We had tickets to the football bronze Olympic medal match in Cardiff, Wales. I've never been much of a sports fan, but Andrew grew up absorbed and passionate about sports, especially football. It was very special to me that I could experience such a powerful event with him.
 Japan vs S. Korea
***
 Our plan for Saturday was to drive to Brynmawr to have a barbecue at Andrew's brother's house. But first, we had to make a "pit" stop. I had been told about deep mines in Wales that most who visit the country never know about. I wasn't sure what to imagine, thinking are we going down into some caves? Are we just going alone into some dark pit? Andrew was loving my anticipation so of course didn't tell me more than it was called the "Big Pit". Above ground it looked like a factory. 
But was I mistaken! The mine had a complete staff of retired miners who take groups of people underground on a tour. Andrew's mum passes this all week long when visiting the grandchildren but has never stopped. Andrew was also a first time tourist along with me. When we entered the room, the workers were all dressed in orange jumpsuits, similar to a prison inmate in America. They were strapping on gear and helmets to every person heading into the mine. Russell was our tour guide and the look on his face was classic when he found out I was from Utah. They don't get many people from so far away. 
We first piled into an old, rickety elevator shaft. It slowly descended underground as Russell explained we'd be going 90 feet below. During the Industrial Revolution, the miners would go as deep as 900 feet underground and the elevator shaft would fall much faster! Without our helmet lights we wouldn't have seen anything it was so dark. The tour continued showing where the coal was found and transported. Learning about the history of the miners during the Industrial Revolution gave me a stronger appreciation for light and life itself. The conditions were so brutal I wouldn't have believed it without seeing it. 
The "Big Pit" was a treasure to find and as we left I was taken aback and speechless knowing my reality was experiencing such a place!
***
So I have to admit that as I've been writing this blog I've been anxious to get to the last day of my weekend. There was so much delight in every day, touring more British history, and spending time with Andrew's family. But Sunday we were headed to see castles! Andrew's brother is just as passionate about history as he is. A favorite for him is exploring castles. Let's just say, I had the best tour guides! 
The first castle to see was Caerphilly Castle. 
 
 
 
Scrolling down through these photos, are there any words to be said? I could attempt to describe how it felt to stand beneath such a sight, but none could do it justice. Words could only impair a place like this because feeling its effect is so much more magical and humbling. Inside the impact of this moment in time, I would slow my pace and come to a stop. In front of me was Andrew, his mum, his brother, his sister in-law, and his two beautiful nieces. I thought to myself, "I am really here... What amazing people stand before me; the people who are pieces of Andrew's heart, where I am every day. This is happiness."
 
 
When I was preparing to move to the UK the hardest struggle was leaving my family. All I've ever known is a life revolved around my loved ones and pouring my heart and soul into every day with them. Now as it is my turn to start a life of my own, to go where I desire, to be with the man I love, I find fear in the unknown. It takes courage to strip yourself of the past and to allow those in it to carry on without you. I was worried that his family wouldn't like me, or maybe I wouldn't like them. The cultural differences worried me as well. By the end of the weekend, I felt peace and even love from my time with them. In my heart I know that it's with Andrew, whether it be the UK or USA, that I belong. 

1 comment:

  1. Tears. I am so proud of you and happy that you are embracing life. I thank Andrew everyday for bringing light and love into your life. You deserve all the great things this world has to offer and I couldn't be more blessed to have you as my sister. I love you.

    ReplyDelete